Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yummmy!

I made this for dinner the other night as a start in trying to eat healthier and it was VERY good! It's kind of like a healthier version of shrimp scampi. Eric gave it an A+ and said we have to have it again. I just thought I would share it with everyone...


Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Vegetables

4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided

2 large red bell peppers, diced (I only used one and it was enough)

2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 in lengths

2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest

1/2 tsp salt, divided

5 gloves of garlic, minced (I used about 7)

1 pound raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined (I used the frozen raw shrimp, much easier and cheaper)

1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 tsp cornstarch

2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Heat 2 tsp oil is large nonstick skiller over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, asparagus, lemon zest, and 1/4 tsp salt and cook, stirring ocassionally, until just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl; cover to keep warm.

Add the remaining 2 tsp oil and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragant, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk broth and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth and add to the pan along with the remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened slightly and the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Do not over cook shrimp. Return vegetables to pan and cook until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Serve over your favorite pasta. (Angel hair is the best) Makes 4 servings.

**You can also use chicken if you don't like shrimp.

4 comments:

. said...

Looks delicious...thanks for sharing, we will have to give it a try!

Urry Family said...

Sounds yummy, I will have to give it a try.

Michelle said...

That looks so good. I might have to invite ourselves over so you can make it for us:)

Joella said...

You have a standing invitation to come on over and I will gladly make it for ya!